FIRE COMMISSIONER SCOPPETTA ANNOUNCES ACTIONS IN WAKE OF FATAL FIRE AT 130 LIBERTY STREET
Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta has ordered the following actions in connection with the fatal fire at the former Deutsche Bank building at 130 Liberty Street in Manhattan :
- Pending the outcome of the investigation, the following fire officers are relieved of their commands and detailed to Headquarters:
Deputy Chief Richard Fuerch, Commander, Division 1
Battalion Chief John McDonald, Commander, Battalion 1
Captain Peter Bosco, Engine Company 10
- Deputy Chiefs in the Department’s nine Divisions have been directed to order surveillance by every fire unit in their respective administrative areas of all buildings under construction/demolition. The purpose of these inspections is to insure that all rules and regulations regarding fire protection and public safety are being adhered to.
- Divisions are also ordered to review all existing pre-fire plans in their respective administrative areas, and to have units and Battalions canvass their areas for any potential structures that might require the creation of such plans.
- Borough Commanders are ordered to oversee and coordinate all field fire inspection activities in their respective boroughs.
- The Chief of Operations will conduct a review of the Department’s field inspection program with emphasis on insuring accountability at all levels and making recommendations to strengthen and improve the quality and frequency of inspections by field units.