FIRE COMMISSIONER SCOPPETTA HOSTS ANNUAL
FDNY FOUNDATION HUMANITARIAN AWARDS DINNER
Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta will join the FDNY Foundation tomorrow evening at the Fire Commissioner’s Humanitarian Awards Gala to honor several individuals who have provided generous support to the New York City Fire Department.
The FDNY Foundation is a non-profit organization that helps to bring the vital message of fire safety and prevention to all New Yorkers and supports the critical life-saving work of the New York City Fire Department. The FDNY Foundation directly sponsors an array of educational and public awareness programs designed to reduce fires and fire fatalities for both the public and New York City firefighters.
Presented annually, the Fire Commissioner’s Humanitarian Awards Gala recognizes outstanding and continuing service to New York City. All proceeds from the event will benefit the FDNY Foundation. WABC News Channel 7’s anchor Bill Ritter will be the master of ceremonies.
John C. Santora
Chief Operation Officer, Cushman & Wakefield
John C. Santora is Chief Operating Officer of Cushman & Wakefield and one of the most accomplished real estate executives in the world. As COO, he oversees operations for the world’s largest privately held real estate services firm. Mr. Santora is a Director of the Realty Advisory Board, an active member of the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), National Advisory Council and the Board of Governors of the Real Estate Board of New York. Mr. Santora is also the Chairman of the Board of the Business Integration Group (BIG).
President, United Technologies
William Brown was appointed President of United Technologies’ UTC Fire & Security business unit in January 2006. He previously led the Asia Pacific Operations of Carrier, another United Technologies company, since January 2004. Mr. Brown also served as President of Carrier Transicold and General Manager of the Replacement Components Division. He is accepting this award on behalf of Kidde which is part of UTC Fire & Security. This year, Kidde celebrates 90 years of service in the fire-safety industry.
Senior Partner, Fisher Brothers
Honorary Chairman, Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
Arnold Fisher is one of four senior partners at Fisher Brothers, a leader in New York City real estate. Mr. Fisher has been responsible for the construction of more than 15 million square feet of space, both commercial and residential. He became the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Intrepid Museum Foundation in May 2003 and served through December 2006. The Museum Foundation is a leader in providing support to the nation’s armed forces and their families while operating the world’s largest maritime museum. Mr. Fisher remains a Trustee and member of the Executive Committee
Some of the FDNY Foundation’s recent successes include:
- Helping the FDNY reduce civilian fire fatalities to historic lows.
- Purchased nearly 150,000 smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries for Operation Fresh Battery – the largest giveaway of its kind in New York City history.
- Distribution of free smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the City.
- Operating the FDNY Fire Zone. The Fire Zone is an interactive state-of-the-art safety education experience at Rockefeller Center where children and adults learn about fire prevention and safety. The Fire Zone has taught almost 1 million people critical life-saving techniques.
- Increasing firefighter safety by pledging up to $1 million for a high-rise simulator to be utilized by firefighters in rescue operations training.
- Translating fire-safety materials into eight different languages and distributing them citywide.
New York Hilton Grand Ballroom
1335 Avenue of Americas at West 53 Street
New York, NY
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
6:00PM – Silent Auction and Reception
7:00PM - Dinner
Press Contact: Francis X. Gribbon & Eileen Ramos, (FDNY) (718) 999-2056