NEW YORK CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT CELEBRATES
NATIONAL EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES WEEK
MAY 15-21, 2005
National Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Week, which will be held May 15-21, 2005 is designed to publicly recognize the life-saving work provided by more than 750,000 EMT’s, Paramedics and first responders nationwide.
Locally, the crucial role these individuals perform by providing pre-hospital emergency medical care to the citizens of New York each year and their dedication and commitment is highlighted in this year’s themes, “EMS The Stars of Life- Ready, Responsive, Reliable”.
EMS Week also features special events and forums that seek to educate the public as well as attract potential recruits interested in careers as public service professionals dedicated to saving lives and helping others.
We salute the members of the New York City Fire Department’s EMS Command and extend our appreciation to them for their commitment to outstanding pre-hospital care.
The following is a list of events scheduled during EMS Week:
- Monday, May 16th at 9:30 a.m. - Ringing of the Opening Bell – New York Stock Exchange. Chief of EMS Command John Peruggia and other members of the EMS Command ring the opening bell. Photo Op
- Tuesday, May 17h at 8 a.m. - The 4th Annual Paramedic/EMT Competition. This exciting event challenges EMTs and Paramedics as they put their skills to the test for a chance to represent the NYC Fire Department at the National EMS Competition in Orlando Florida later this year. This practical skills competition will be held at the Metrotech Commons, 9 Metrotech Center, Brooklyn. Photo Op
- Wednesday May 18th at 11 a.m. - EMS Medal Day. EMS Medal Day recognizes the best of “The Best.” This event honors FDNY EMT’s and Paramedics who have gone above and beyond in the performance of their life-saving duties with the presentation of EMS Medals by the Mayor and the Fire Commissioner. The Medal presentation ceremony will be held at the FDNY Headquarters Auditorium, 9 Metrotech Center, Brooklyn. Photo Op
- Thursday, May 19th at 10 a.m. The 10th Annual Second Chance Brunch. This event reunites victims of sudden cardiac arrest with their rescuers. Once again, this year's brunch will be held at the Chase Metrotech Cafe, 4 Chase Metrotech Center, 2nd Floor in Downtown Brooklyn. Photo Op
- Friday, May 20th - All day – Station Appreciation Day. The Station Commanding Officers conduct various Station based events to honor their members and provide an outreach to the communities they serve.
- Sunday, May 22nd at 8 a.m. – Kick-Off Event – FDNY EMS Command National EMS Memorial Bike Ride. Members of the EMS Command join EMS professionals in a memorial bike ride to Roanoke Virginia. New York contingent leaves Fort Totten at 8:00 a.m.
Contact: Francis X. Gribbon and Maria Lamberti (FDNY) (718) 999-2056