NYC Resources 311 Office of the Mayor
New York City Fire Department
Find Us on Facebook Twitter

FDNY/EMS Ten Most Frequently Asked Questions

When should I call the Fire Department?
You should call 911 for the fire department or pull a street alarm box whenever you feel that there is an actual or impending fire or related emergency. It is always to better to be safe than sorry.

When should I call for an ambulance?
If you have a true medical emergency you should always call for an ambulance. Medical emergencies include, but are not limited to the following: Breathing; Bleeding; Possibility of a head, neck or spinal cord injury; Chest pains; Broken bones when the injured cannot be moved; Trauma (Motor Vehicle Accidents, Assaults, etc).

How Do I Become A Firefighter?
The exam for firefighters is given approximately every four years. There are educational and age requirements. At the time of the last application period you were required to have: a) successfully completed 30 semester credits from an accredited college or university; b) a four year HS diploma or its educational equivalent and have completed two years of honorable full-time U.S. Military Service. You must be at least 17 years old to take the exam and not have reached your twenty-ninth birthday by the beginning of the application period. All persons who have been engaged in full-time military duty may deduct from their age the length spent in the military not to exceed six years. You must be twenty one years old to be eligible for appointment. Other requirements will be posted coinciding with the announcement of the next exam.

How Do I Become A Paramedic or EMT?
The department often adds to its applicant database of EMTs for future EMT classes. IF you want to work for the fire department of New York City as an EMT you must possess: a valid NYS Department of Health Certificate; a motor vehicle driver’s license valid in the state of NY; a four year H.S. Diploma or equivalent. Please call 718-999-2169/2179 to register with our Candidate Investigation Division. When you call to register you will be require to provide the following: EMT certification #; Driver’s License number; contact information'

How Do I Acquire a Certificate of Fitness (C of F) or a Certificate of Qualification (C of Q) Necessary To Operate Certain Equipment Within A Fixed Structure?
C of F or C of Q: The Bureau of Fire Prevention 9 Metro Tech East - 1st Floor - Brooklyn, New York 11201 - 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. For further information call 718-999-1986. For information on Operating Permits for combustables, flamables or compressed gases, please call the Bureau of Fire Prevention at 718-999-2547'

Who Can I Talk To Concerning A Fire Code Violation?
You can call the Field Public Communications Unit at 718-999-2522

How Can I Get A Fire Record?
You can call 718-999-2681/2682 or visit: The Bureau of Fire Prevention 9 Metro Tech East - 1st Floor (Flatbush Ave Ext) - Brooklyn, New York 11201 - 9 A.M. to 3 P.M.

How Can I Get An Ambulance Report?
You can call 718-999-1997/1998. Due to the confidential nature of medical information, it is important that one follow the instructions on how to obtain the report. Full instructions are available at the above phone numbers.

How Can I Get The Fire Department To Turn On A Fire Hydrant For Neighborhood Children On A Hot Summer’s Day?
You can contact your local firehouse or police precinct. Hydrants can only be opened when used in conjunction with an approved Sprinkler Cap. Only firefighters are permitted to open a fire hydrant.

How Can I Get A Firefighter or a Paramedic/EMT To Speak At My Group About Fire or Health Safety Record?
You can call the Office of Fire Safety Education at 718-999-2343. If you would like to visit the Fire Safety House for Children, call the NYC Fire Museum at 212-691-1303. School classes can visit a New York City Firehouse for a demonstration of equipment and to meet the firefighters. Call your local fire department to make an appointment.

What do I do about a running or leaky fire hydrant?
Hydrants are for fire fighting, not for fun. Each time a hydrant is opened illegally, a thousand gallons of water are wasted each minute. Children risk serious injury from the powerful flow. There is also a severe loss of water pressure, which means that if there is a fire, someone might be injured or die. So if you need to cool off, try the beach or the nearest pool, or get an approved spray cap for a neighborhood hydrant from your local fire house. If there is a leaky hydrant or illegall opened hydrant, report it to 718-DEP-HELP.

Copyright 2014 The City of New York Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use