FDNY Fire Marshals Determine Three Fire-Related Deaths Caused by Cooking
FDNY Fire Marshals have determined that several New York City fire-related deaths so
far in August were caused by senior citizen cooking accidents.
Please take and share this information with your family, friends and
Kitchen accidents can be caused by:
- Distracted cooks, including leaving the kitchen to answer the door, take a phone call or
view something on television.
- Wearing loose clothing that can catch fire when leaning over a stovetop.
- Flammable items placed near the stove, such as towels, papers or pot holders.
- Pan/pot handles turned outward, which are accidently bumped and overturn.
- Cooking at temperatures higher than what is required.
- Uncleaned cooking equipment that accumulates grease or food items.
How to prevent cooking fires:
- Use a pot’s lid or baking soda to smother a pan/pot fire. (Do not attempt to pick
up the pan/pot if there is fire.)
- Do not use water to fight a kitchen fire, as it can splash and spread the flames.Make
sure your home has working smoke alarms.
- Make sure your home has working smoke alarms.