[Share]Published: November 30, 2012
CHRISTMAS TREE STORAGE AND SAFETY
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas, which means it’s time to review safe display, storage and sale of Christmas trees.
Display at home:
- Be sure to buy a fresh tree and check to make sure the one you’re purchasing has not completely dried out.
- Place your tree at least 3 feet away from any flames or heat source
- Be certain to keep the tree properly watered to prevent from drying out
- Never use candles or any open flames on or near the tree, and turn off lights on the tree when you go to sleep or go out
- Use a sturdy tree stand to prevent the tree from toppling over.
For more information regarding safe Christmas tree displays in your home, click here:
Storage and display in retail space
- Indoor storage of real Christmas trees for sale is prohibited. Christmas trees must be stored outdoors.
- Indoor display of real Christmas trees in retail stores and most other occupancies is also prohibited.
For more information regarding safe Christmas tree sale and storage, consult Chapter 8 of the New York City Fire Code FAQ, by clicking here: