HISTORY OF MARINE FLEET
The first Marine Company of the New York City Fire Department (Fireboat William Havemeyer) was formed on May 10, 1875, per the general orders of the Board of Fire Commissioners. The New York City Fire Department, Marine Operations, is charged with protecting the 560 miles of waterfront surrounding the City of new York and its people. These waterways are used for enjoyment and ever increasingly, as means of commutation and commerce. Fire protection is provided through the use of the FDNY fireboat fleet. With the closing of various Coast Guard stations, Marine Operations recognized the potential for increased danger to the citizens of the New York City. To deal effectively with this situation and have a positive impact on the increasing number of water emergencies, Marine Operations proposed the use of "rapid response boats" that have the capability to arrive within a reasonable time, make an instant impact and provide essential emergency assistance.