- Original Tests - Test fees vary from $ 25, $ 60, $ 175. (Most are $ 25) For exact amount, view
- • Late Renewals, (after 91 days but before one (1) year from the date of expiration, always incur a $ 25 penalty in addition to the renewal fee. Certificates expired over one year past expiration date will not be renewed. New tests are required.
- Late Renewals, (after 91 days but before one (1) year
from the date of expiration, always incur a $ 25 penalty
in addition to the renewal fee. Certificates expired over
year past expiration date will not be renewed. New tests
Original Test Fee waiver - Only employees who are required to perform Certificate of Fitness duties are part of their job will be eligible for a fee waiver. Satisfactory documentation must include a letter on agency letterhead stating that this individual is a government employee and present current agency employment ID. Contractors, students are not eligible for this waiver.
AVOID PENALTIES, RENEW ON TIME
- You may renew a certificate in person or by mail.
- Mail in Payments can be made by check or money order payable to the New York City Fire Department. For specific fee information, refer to the view
table. Cash, checks and credit cards payments are only accepted in person.
- Attach your Renewal Coupon, Part B of expired Certificate of Fitness or a Copy of your COF.
- If renewing a COF with a COF number beginning with a 6, paper type, for Supervisor of Bulk Oil Plant, Fire Safety Director, Fire Safety Coordinator, Magazine Keeper, Blaster, Powder Carrier, Operator of Explosive Vehicle Handler of Explosives or Pyrotechnist, you must attach two (2) passport size photographs of yourself.
If you have a COF with a plastic card beginning with 8, you need not include a photograph.
- If you have any changes, holders must complete Certificate of Fitness Application (A-20) and attach the Renewal Coupon, Part B of the expiring Certificate of Fitness.
- Forward completed forms and payment(s) by mail to:
Bureau of Fire Prevention
9 MetroTech East
Brooklyn, New York 11201-3857
- Lost COFs may only be obtained in person with a cost of
$ 5 per duplicate.
- For further information concerning renewals of Certificates
of Fitness call (718) 999-0368.