Times and Location
- Tests are administered only at 9 MetroTech Center in downtown Brooklyn. Enter through the Flatbush Avenue entrance only
NYCTA subway stops are:
- N-R to Lawrence
- A-C-F to Jay Street
- 2-3-4-5 to Nevins & Boro
- 2-3 to Hoyt
- Q-D-M-N-R to DeKalb
- Examinations are conducted Monday through Friday (except Legal Holidays) 8:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. (No exams will begin after 2:30 P.M.) Please refer to the Notice of Examination for your specific exam to verify the actual time. Appear early to avoid delays. Bring #2 pencils and pen.
- Only two tests are allowed for a person in a day.
Fire Safety Director Exams are held every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 8:00 A.M.
Be sure to bring along the original FSD certificate of graduation from the FSD school. No test will be administered to applicants who arrive after 9:00A.M.
Refrigeration tests are admitted by appointment, only. Tests are available Monday - Friday. Contact 718-999-2473 for appointments.
- Applicants requesting oral tests must telephone for an appointment at (718) 999-1990.
- Examination fees must be paid in cash, check or money order, payable to the New York City Fire Department and must be paid before taking any Certificate of Fitness exam. While most
fees are $25, the fee category is available at view table
- You must bring 2 pieces of satisfactory identification
i.e. Driver's License, Passport, etc.
The application for Certificate of Fitness (Form A-20) is available in person at 9 MetroTech, COF Unit, or On Line in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format which can be viewed with the free Acrobat Reader. If you don't have the Reader, then you must get Acrobat reader before downloading the online application.
- All tests are administered on Touch Screen Computers. All applicants will have a Practice Test, and an actual Test. The number of questions on the actual test will depend upon the category of the test. Tests range from 25 - 100 questions. The system is user-friendly. No prior knowledge of computer is required.
- At the end of the test, you will immediately know your results. If you passed the test, you will receive either a COF Card or a Document verifying that your status with further instructions. If you fail the test, you will receive a Failure Report. The Failure Report consists of your personal information, the code of the test you took, and a summary of the test questions grouped by categories. It will tell you how many questions from each category were included in your test and how many were answered correctly. It will not provide the questions which you answered.
- Applicants are encouraged to read Study Materials before taking any test. The Study Materials are free and available on this WEBSITE, or available in person. For materials, click here.
- Examinations are conducted in English only.
- Applicants are not allowed to leave the testing room for any reason (i.e. restroom, phone calls, parking meter, etc.) All affairs must be concluded before entering the exam room.
- Applicants cannot withdraw from the examination after starting without being charged a failure.
- Applicants failing examinations must pay new fees and submit a new letter of recommendation before taking any new test.
- Impersonating another person for test-taking purposes is a crime, and punishable by law.
- Offering a bribe to any employee of the City of New York is a felony, punishable by law.
- Using any materials, other than the test itself, during the Certificate of Fitness exam will disqualify you as an applicant.
Further Questions or Help
[ Main Certificate of
Fitness Page ]