NYC Resources 311 Office of the Mayor
New York City Fire Department
Find Us on Facebook Twitter
After the Fire / Insurance Contacts


Salvage Hints

Document Replacement

Money Replacement


Insurance Contacts

Food Management

Fire Records

Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible. If you are unable to reach your agent or insurance company, most policies require you to have your home secured against vandalism and looting, and allow advanced funds for your family to find lodging. Keep all receipts, in order to be reimbursed by your insurance company. If possible, do not disturb or remove any items before the insurance adjuster arrives.

Some insurance policies provide for additional living expenses until you are able to move back home. You must keep receipts for all expenditures.

If you are a tenant, contact the resident manager, the owner or the owner's insurance agent. It is the owner's responsibility to prevent further loss to the site. See that your personal belongings are secure either within the building or by moving them to another location, such as the home of a relative or friend. Contact your own insurance agent to report the loss. The property owner's insurance, in most cases, will not cover the loss of your personal belongings.

Insurance and Other Assistance:

  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible
  • If you are renting, contact the property owner or the owner's insurance company.
  • If you are not insured, contact your lawyer or the IRS for directions.
  • Contact the American Red Cross for disaster relief services.

American Red Cross in Greater New York
520 West 49th Street
New York, NY 10019
Email Address -

Main Telephone Number
Call 1-877-REDCROSS

If Your Property is not Covered by Insurance

Emergency assistance, including temporary shelter, food, clothing, eye glasses, and medicine is available through the American Red Cross and Salvation Army.

Copyright 2014 The City of New York Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use