In accordance with federal and state legislation, the overall mission of the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) program is to:
- Reduce poverty, revitalize low-income communities and
help low-income families and individuals in rural and urban areas become fully
- Help communities plan and coordinate the use of a
broad range of federal, state, local and private assistance to combat poverty.
- Provide a range of services and activities that
address the causes of poverty and promote self-sufficiency.
- Implement innovative and effective community-based
approaches to address the causes and effects of poverty.
- Promote maximum participation among residents of low-income communities.
As the Community Action Agency for New York City, DYCD
receives federal CSBG funds through the New York State Department of
State, Division of Community Services.