The Department of Sanitation encourages you to help keep NYC clean by reporting abandoned vehicles.
- Abandoned vehicles may be reported by calling the New York City Citizen Service Center at 3-1-1.
- When calling to report an abandoned vehicle, be prepared to give the location of the vehicle and its description including the make, type (2 door, 4 door, station wagon, etc.) and color.
- Abandoned vehicles without license plates may also be reported by submitting a Derelict Vehicle Removal Request.
- Abandoned vehicles with license plates may also be reported to your local police precinct.
If you own a car, it is your responsibility to dispose of it properly.
- Failure to do so can result in a summons that carries a fine up to $1,000.00.
- Failure to pay any fines levied may result in suspension of your driver's license.
If you want to dispose of a vehicle you may look in the yellow pages under auto wreckers, junk dealers, etc.
- When turning over your vehicle to an auto wrecking firm remember to fill out the title form (or registration on vehicles manufactured before 1974).
- The name of the firm should appear on the title as the new owner of the vehicle.
- The auto wrecking firm is responsible for giving you a receipt stating the car's make and model, vehicle identification number, date of transaction, and the auto wrecker's name.
- The receipt is your proof that you disposed of your car legally. So be sure you save it.