New York City residents may bring the following materials to Special Drop-Off Sites:
Motor Oil and Transmission Fluid
Motor Oil Filters
Passenger Car Tires
Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Mercury Containing Devices (such as thermostats)
Lithium and Rechargeable Batteries*
Please note: NYC residents can return rechargeable batteries, auto batteries, motor oil & transmission fluid, and car tires to service stations or retailers that sell them.
- Retailers are required to accept up to ten rechargeable batteries per person without charge.
- Retailers are required to accept up to two automobile batteries a month per person without charge.
- Individuals can save the $5 surcharge by returning the used automobile battery when purchasing a new one.
- Service stations and retailers that sell motor oil are required to accept up to five gallons a day per person at no charge.
- Service stations and retailers that sell or install tires must take back the same number and type of tires they sell.
- Certain retailers also take back compact fluorescent lamps for recycling on a voluntary basis
Visit Take it Back NYC for more information about these programs.
* Batteries: (1) Do not mix alkaline batteries with lithium or rechargeable batteries. (2) There are special handling requirements for lithium and rechargeable batteries, see Safety and Packaging Requirements.
Drop Off Sites
Drop off Site Location / Directions
605 West 30th Street, between 11th and 12th Avenues, opposite Manhattan 6 Garage / Enter on 12th Avenue, across from the Air Pegasus V.I.P. Heliport
1824 Shore Parkway / Located in Bensonhurst at 25th Avenue and Gravesend Bay, adjacent to the DSNY Brooklyn District 11 garage and the Adventurer's Family Entertainment Center amusement park (formerly known as Nellie Bly). From Belt Parkway, eastbound: Take exit 5 and head straight on Shore Parkway; make a right on 25th Ave. From Belt Parkway, westbound: Take left at Bay Parkway, left at Shore Parkway, and then make a right on 25th Avenue.
120-15 31st Avenue / Located in College Point at 30th Avenue, between 120th and 122nd Streets, at the northwest corner of the DSNY Queens District 7 garage. Enter at 30th Avenue off College Point Boulevard, take a left after 122nd Street.
Located in Hunts Point at Farragut Street and the East River, next to the Fulton Fish Market. The entrance is on Farragut Street, off Food Center Drive.
Located at the foot of Muldoon Avenue, located off the Muldoon Avenue exit of the southbound West Shore Expressway (440), adjacent to the DSNY Staten Island District 3 garage.
Please Note: As these facilities are generally located within DSNY garages, they are sometimes not immediately visible. If you are having trouble locating the site, please ask for a Garage Foreman or Supervisor. Household Special Waste Drop-off sites are available only to NYC residents, who must show a valid New York State driver's license and a vehicle registration with a NYC address. If arriving without a vehicle, NYC residents can provide a picture ID and proof of residency, such as a utility or telephone bill that contains their name and NYC address. The sites are solely for non-commercial NYC residential materials. Materials may not be from a business, industrial, "fee for service" or profit-making activity.
Sites are open Saturdays from 10 AM to 5 PM, except for the last week of each month, when they are open Fridays instead.
2013 Special Waste Schedule
2013 Special Waste Schedule
| Month|| Saturday Schedule|| Friday Schedule|
|January 2013||January 5, 12, 19||January 25|
|February 2013||February 2, 9, 16||February 22|
|March 2013||March 2, 9, 16, 23||March 29|
|April 2013||April 6, 13, 20||April 26|
|May 2013||May 4, 11, 18||May 24|
|June 2013||June 1, 8, 15, 22||June 28|
|July 2013||July 6, 13, 20||July 26|
|August 2013||August 3, 10, 17, 24||August 30|
|September 2013||September 7, 14, 21||September 27|
|October 2013||October 5, 12, 19||October 25|
|November 2013||November 2, 9, 16, 23||November 29|
|December 2013||December 7, 14, 21||December 27|