Hosting a Weekend Walk
Through the Weekend Walks program, community based organizations apply to close commercial streets and provide programming that highlights local businesses and New York City neighborhoods.
Basic requirements for participating in the Weekend Walks prorgam include:
- Events must be on a commercial corridor
- Proposing organizations must have strong ties to the community
- Minimum event length is 2 blocks, maximum is 10
- Minimum number of event days is 2, maximum is 10
- Events must be on a recurring and predictable schedule (e.g. every Saturday in June, First Fridays in the summer, etc.)
- Consecutive dates (e.g. Saturday 8/16 and Sunday 8/17) are not permitted
- Events proposed adjacent to parks or other large public spaces are not permitted
- Vending of any kind is prohibited at Weekend Walks events
Partner ResponsibilitiesPartners enter into an agreement with NYCDOT for community management services and will agree to provide:
- Programing that promotes the use of streets as public space
- Ongoing communication with NYPD and the Community Board
- Coordination with local businesses, community based organizations, etc.
- All required permits, licenses, site plan, and run of show provided in accordance with DOT’s deadlines
- Attend at least one mandatory partner meeting
- Assistance coordinating with city agencies
- Moveable furniture and some programming amenities
- Limited funding based on availability and size of the proposed event
The application deadline is close of business Friday, January 12th, 2018.The Weekend Walks 2018 application can be found at bit.ly/2if6hYM.
Attend an information session on-line or by phone!Info Session – Monday, December 18th, 4:00pm
All info sessions are held on-line via Cisco Webex or by phone.To attend, send an email to email@example.com with the date you plan to attend and your preferred method of attendance (phone or online).