The New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) today announced the replacement of single space meters along Union Turnpike from Main Street to 193rd Street with muni-meters. The DOT will be replacing 351 single spaced meters with 62 muni-meters. The meters will be converted in three phases.
- Union Turnpike (north side) from 193rd to 185th Street; south side from Chevy Chase to 189th Street
- single space meters will be removed starting on Monday July 9th
- 20 muni meters will be activated on Saturday July 14th
- Union Turnpike north side from 180th to 176th Street; south side from 175th to Kent Street
- 114 single space meters will be removed starting on Monday July 16th
- 20 muni meters will be activated on Saturday July 21st
Muni-Meters are installed at intervals along the sidewalk and can increase the number of parking spaces along the curbside by as much as 15%, because motorists can use the entire regulated curbside and space is not lost due to the arbitrary spacing associated with single space meters. Muni-Meters also provide the benefits of cleaner, more open sidewalks for pedestrians and accurate time keeping and proof of payment for drivers.
Muni-Meters accept quarters, dollar coins and credit cards as well as payments made with NYC Parking Cards, which can be purchased in $20 and $50 denominations through the DOT Web site, by mail and at City Store locations. A complete list of commercial and passenger vehicle muni-meter locations is available at the DOT Web site, www.nyc.gov/dot. For information, please call 311 or visit the DOT Web site, www.nyc.gov/dot.
- Union Turnpike north side from 169th to Main Street; south side from 169th to 150th Streets
- 140 single space meters will be removed starting on Monday July 23rd
- 22 muni meters will be activated on Saturday July 28th