The New York City Department of Transportation announced road closures on the Grand Central Parkway, Astoria Boulevard and the Brooklyn Queens Expressway for the weekends of January 27-29 and February 3-5, 2007. The closures are necessary to dismantle the temporary bridges and demolish the existing abutments of the Steinway Street Bridge over the Grand Central Parkway (GCP). Traffic Enforcement Agents will be stationed at critical intersections to maintain a smooth flow of traffic and Variable Message Signs will be placed along major highways and local streets to alert motorists of lane closures and alternative routes.
Please note: During these weekends, the Steinway Street Bridge will remain open to traffic with one of two lanes maintained northbound and two lanes maintained southbound.
Grand Central Parkway
- Eastbound: Two of three eastbound lanes on the Grand Central Parkway will be maintained between 31st Street and 49th Street (from the Triboro Bridge to BQE interchange).
- Westbound: One of three westbound lanes on the Grand Central Parkway will be maintained between 49th Street and the Triboro Bridge approach.
- Astoria Boulevard South at 33rd Street GCP eastbound entrance ramp: This ramp will be closed.
- Entrance ramp at 74th Street onto westbound Grand Central Parkway: This will be closed and traffic will continue on Astoria Boulevard North to the Triboro Bridge and local streets.
Brooklyn Queens Expressway
- Grand Central Parkway Entrance Ramp/Triboro Connector: The ramp from the eastbound BQE on to the westbound GCP will be closed. BQE motorists will be detoured onto Astoria Boulevard North for access to the Triboro Bridge and local streets.
Astoria Boulevard North & South
- Parking Restrictions: There will be no stopping allowed along Astoria Boulevard North between 82nd Street and 31st Street; Astoria Boulevard South between 31st Street and 47th Street; BQE Service Road between 47th Street and 49th Street, starting from 12 noon Friday through 5:00 am Monday.