FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Release #06-07
Contact: Kay Sarlin (212) 442-7033
Demolition of Steinway Street Bridge
The New York City Department of Transportation announced road closures on the Grand Central Parkway, Astoria Boulevard and the Brooklyn Queens Expressway for the weekends of February 18th-20th and February 25th–27th. The closures are necessary to demolish the southern and northern portions of the Steinway Street Bridge as part of the reconstruction project. Traffic Enforcement Agents will be stationed at critical intersections to maintain a smooth flow of traffic and Variable Message Signs will be placed along major highways and local streets to alert motorists of lane closures and alternative routes.
Please note: The two northbound traffic lanes on the temporary Steinway Street Bridge will remain during demolition.
Parking Restrictions will be in effect from 12 noon Friday through 5:00 am Monday and road closures will begin at 12:01 Saturday through 5:00 am Monday.
Grand Central Parkway
- Eastbound: One eastbound lane on the Grand Central Parkway will be closed between 31st Street and 49th Street. There will be two available eastbound travel lanes.
- Westbound: Two westbound lanes on the Grand Central Parkway will be closed between 49th Street and the Triboro Bridge approach. There will be one available westbound travel lane.
- Astoria Boulevard South at 33rd Street GCP Eastbound Entrance Ramp: This ramp will be closed.
Astoria Boulevard North & South
- Parking Restrictions: There will be no stopping allowed along Astoria (North/South) between 31st Street and 49th Street starting from 12 noon Friday through 5:00 am Monday.
Brooklyn Queens Expressway
- GCP Entrance Ramp: From the northbound/westbound BQE will be closed. Northbound BQE motorists will be detoured onto Astoria Boulevard North for access to the Triboro Bridge and local streets.
- GCP Westbound Entrance Ramp at 74th Street: This will be closed and traffic will continue on Astoria Boulevard North to the Triboro Bridge and local streets.