Important resources for trucks operating in NYC during COVID-19.
Truck Driver Guidance & Tips:
Some helpful tips for truck drivers and commercial vehicle operators are provided below:
- Always practice good hand hygiene. Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol. Avoid shaking hands.
- Wear face coverings while delivering or picking up goods. Truck drivers and commercial vehicle operators who are in direct contact with customers or members of the public (i.e. delivering packages) must follow the New York State Face Covering Requirement (effective, April 15, 2020).
- Practice social distancing. Limit time spent outside of the truck cab during fueling, loading and unloading, and at rest and truck stops.
- Plan ahead. Schedule your deliveries in advance whenever possible. Be aware that some facilities may provide access to restrooms, so plan as best you can.
- Go contactless. Use paperless, electronic invoicing for fueling and deliveries, when available.
- Keep your truck clean and aerated. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces on a routine basis and keep your truck well-ventilated.
- Stay home if you're feeling unwell. Follow CDC guidelines if you are sick.
Truck Size and Weight Permits:
The Truck Permit Unit continues to process daily truck permit applications.
- General over-dimensional and annual crane permit questions: (929) 466-1428
- General over-dimensional and film permit questions: (929) 466-1155
- Annual overweight load permit questions: (929) 466-2176
COVID-19 Relief & NYC Overweight Permits:
- The NYS Department of Transportation Emergency Waiver on Motor Carrier Compliance with Divisible and Non-Divisible Loads is only valid on interstate highways in New York City with the exception of the BQE. Trucks along the BQE are limited to a maximum of 80,000 pounds — or 40 tons.
- Over-dimensional vehicles carrying essential deliveries as part of the COVID-19 relief efforts can get route-specific waivers. These emergency moves are being expedited to allow the vehicle to move on any day of the week (including Saturday and Sunday) for a period of 23:59 hrs. Typical review and approval process and partner agencies conditions remain.
Information & Resources:
- NYSDMV services have resumed. Review Reopening Guidance.
- NYC Small Business Services COVID-19 Assistance & Guidance for Businesses Impacted Due to Novel Coronavirus.