Walking is an easy form of exercise requiring no special equipment. You can fit walking in on your way to or from work, school, a local park or any time throughout the day. It will tone you up, trim you down and help keep your heart healthy, It’s also the most environmentally friendly way of getting around!
Want to feel healthier, happier and greener? Pledge to walk at least 15 minutes more a day. Whether getting off a stop early on the way to work, running errands, or taking at stroll at lunch, 15 minutes of walking is an easy first step to being healthier, happier and greener.
It's not hard to find the time. Try walking:
- To and from work
- Running errands
- At your lunch break and throughout the day
- To drop off and pick up the kids at school
- For weekend events
Here are some of the benefits of walking:
- Get more exercise and improve your general well-being
- Spend quality family time on walks
- Get out there and see what's going on in your neighborhood
- Take a break from the stress of car commutes and crowded public transportation
- Help the environment
- Save money
Walk the Line
- Cross at the corner in a crosswalk.
- Eliminate distractions such as cell phones, music and other hand held devices.
- With all the dark clothing we wear, drivers have trouble seeing New Yorkers on foot. A bright accessory can help with this!
- Plan your route – if you're headed home after dark make sure you know where you're going before you set off.
DOT has initiated walking programs with children and older adults at after-school programs and senior centers. In all five boroughs, Safety Educators are encouraging everyone to walk more and teaching them how to be safe pedestrians, eat more healthily and about the effects of pollution on our environment.
To learn more about DOT's Walking Clubs, please contact Marjorie Marciano.