If you are pregnant, everything you do affects your baby. Bacteria can cause infection which may harm your unborn baby.
You can help prevent infections by washing your hands often with soap and water, especially when:
- Using the bathroom
- Touching raw meat, raw eggs, or unwashed vegetables
- Preparing food and eating
- Gardening or touching dirt or soil
- Handling pets
- Being around people who are sick
- Getting saliva (spit) on your hands
- Caring for and playing with children
- Changing diapers
Read more about preventing infections during pregnancy.