See The NYC Mothers' Guide to Breastfeeding
Other languages: [En Español] [中文] [정의] [Русский] [Français] (PDF)
Sign up for Mobile Milk, a text messaging campaign to encourage and support breastfeeding.
Learn about Latch On NYC: a citywide initiative to support mothers who choose to breastfeed.
If you are an employer, learn how to support your breastfeeding employees.
It's best for your baby:
- Breast milk is filled with the vitamins and nutrients that your baby needs. It builds your baby's immune system and helps her brain develop.
- Breast milk is easier to digest than formula, resulting in less spit-up and diarrhea.
- Breastfed babies are less likely to become obese later in life.
- Breastfed babies are less likes to get infections and to develop SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), asthma, diabetes and other chronic conditions.
Check out these videos of real mothers talking about their experiences breastfeeding
It's best for you:
- Breastfeeding helps your body recover from pregnancy and labor - shrinking your uterus back to size and reducing bleeding after birth.
- Breastfeeding lowers your risk of getting diabetes, ovarian cancer and some forms of breast cancer.
- Breastfeeding helps you bond with your baby.
- Breastfeeding saves time and money. No bottles need to be washed and sterilized, and no formula needs to be bought.