The fastest most convenient way to get a birth or death certificate is to order it online. Online orders are processed within 24 hours on weekdays. UPS express mail delivery is possible.
You can get birth and death certificates, and you can correct these certificates in person in Lower Manhattan at:
Office of Vital Records
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
125 Worth Street
Room 133: Get
Room 144: Correct
New York, NY
Hours (excluding holidays below):
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. except corrections (9 a.m. - 3 p.m.)
We do not accept cash. We do accept:
- Credit or debit cards except from outside the US (use an international money order instead)
- Money order made payable to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Personal check
- Lines are shortest in the morning.
- If you're ordering a death certificate, save time and complete your application before you get in line.
- People using credit or debit cards, or personal checks to pay for copies of their birth certificates do not have to complete an application first. But if you're going to use of these forms of payment, why not order online? The only advantage to ordering in person is that you may be able to leave with your certificate without paying any shipping charges.
- Your wait time will be reduced if you use a credit or debit card at one of the kiosks in the lobby.
- Make sure you bring the identification and any of the supporting documents indicated on the application form.
|The Office of Vital Records will be closed|
on the following dates in 2013:
|Presidents' Day||Monday, February 18, 2013|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 27, 2013|
|Independence Day||Thursday, July 4, 2013|
|Labor Day||Monday, September 2, 2013|
|Columbus Day||Monday, October 14, 2013|
|Election Day||Tuesday, November 5, 2013|
|Veterans' Day (Observed)||Monday, November 11, 2013|
|Thanksgiving Day||Thursday, November 28, 2013|
|Christmas Day||Wednesday, December 25, 2013|
|New Year's Day||Wednesday, January 1, 2014|