How to Get a Death Certificate WITHOUT the Cause of Death. The following applicants are eligible. Order it online. UPS express mail delivery is available.
- Domestic Partner
- The legal representative of the estate of the decedent
- Informant listed on the certificate
- Person in control of disposition
- A funeral director within 12 months of the registration of death
- A party with a property right who demonstrates that information beyond the fact of death is necessary to protect or assert a right of that party
- A person or government agency who otherwise establishes that the record is necessary or required for a judicial or other proper purpose
How to Get a Death Certificate WITH the Cause of Death. ONLY these applicants are eligible:
- Domestic partner
- Informant listed on the record
- The person in control of disposition
A previously-issued certificate indicates the cause of death is "pending further study." The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determines the cause of death. This can take several weeks. More information.
If the above conditions are met:
Please check box #20 on the death certificate application (PDF).
Follow steps 1-5 above.
The $15 fee will be waived if you submit the original certificate indicating that the cause of death was "pending further study" with a new application within 90 days.
It takes 10 business days to process orders for New York City death certificates, including mail or in-person orders.
All government agencies can verify deaths electronically.
- If you are not the spouse or a blood relative of the deceased, you must document your right to get a death certificate. See below for more information.
- If you are an attorney, please follow these instructions.
- If you need the death certificate to include the cause of death, see below.
How To Order
If you can't order your certificate online, please follow the 5 easy steps below:
- Download and complete the death certificate application (PDF) by following the instructions on the form. If you are unable to download the application, please call 311 or 212-639-9675 outside New York City to request one.
- Be sure to include your e-mail address where indicated on the form.
- Obtain the identification indicated on the form.
- Calculate the fees on the form. Each certificate costs $15; other charges may apply, depending on how you place your order.
- Place your order by mail or in person.
- Check the processing time for your order.
Supporting Documents Required If You Are Not Related to the Deceased
In addition to the identification requirements indicated on the form, you must establish your right to obtain a death certificate by providing any of the original or certified documents below. The document you provide must include both your name and the name of the deceased, such as:
Bank book or statement
Proof that you are the legal representative of the estate of the decedent
Proof that you have a property right to protect
Proof that the record is necessary or required for a judicial or other proper purpose
Other document showing entitlement
If you are unable to provide any of the above, please call 311 to ask us for help.