The Food Protection Course trains individuals in food protection practices to ensure the safety of the food served in New York City’s food establishments. The NYC Health code requires that supervisors of food service establishments and non-retail food service establishments be certified in food protection. Completion of this course and passing of the final exam satisfies that requirement.
The Food Protection Course is available in person in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Korean. This course is also available for free online.
Frequency and Duration: The course is 15 hours long and is given over five days and each daily session is 3 hours long. It will usually start on Monday and end on Friday.
When Monday is a City holiday, classes begin on Tuesday, end on Friday, and each daily session will be three hours and forty-five minutes long.
- English - classes are held twice a day: 9am to noon and 1pm to 4pm.
- Chinese and Spanish - classes are offered twice a month from 5pm to 8pm.
- Korean – one evening class is held each month.
You can study for this course by accessing the Food Protection Course Training Manual (PDF)
Other languages: [En Español] [中文] [정의] [বাংলা]
Participants who complete the Food Protection Course and pass the final examination are issued certificates. Final exams are given on the last day of the class. Students passing the exam will be given their certificate that day.
How to Register:
- You can register and pay for this course online. To register online you must pay by American Express, Discover, Visa or Master Card, or electronic check if you have both your account number and bank routing number. A 2.49% convenience fee will be added to the cost of the class when paying by credit card. Register and pay for this class.
- You may also register for the class by going in person to the Citywide Licensing Center. Certified Check, Money Order, American Express, Discover, Visa or Master Card.
The Citywide Licensing Center
New York, NY 10004
Hours: Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Wed: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Location of Class:
NYC Health Academy
East Harlem Multi-Service Center, Second Floor
413 East 120 Street (between First and Pleasant Avenues)
New York, NY 10035
Call 311 for more Information.