NEW YORK CITY - October 13, 2006 - In honor of National Latino Aids Awareness Day, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene today urged Latino New Yorkers to get an HIV test. Rapid testing is available to all New Yorkers at clinics throughout the five boroughs (see locations below). Free, confidential tests are available on a walk-in basis and results are ready within 30 minutes. All clinics offer services in Spanish.
“Getting an HIV test could save your life,” said Dr. Adam Karpati, Acting Assistant Commissioner for the Bureau of HIV Prevention and Control. “HIV testing is free, fast, and confidential at Health Department clinics. Only by knowing your HIV status can you get the treatment you need to live a longer, healthier life.”
HIV/AIDS in the Latino community
- • Approximately 1,000 Latinos are diagnosed with HIV each year in New York City, and 300 people have already progressed to AIDS at the time they are diagnosed
- • Death rates among Puerto Rican-born New Yorkers with AIDS is more than double the mortality in all Hispanics, and is more than triple the mortality in whites. In 2004, the death rate among all Puerto Ricans was 50.0 per 1,000 AIDS deaths, as compared to 22.2 among all Hispanics and 14.8 among whites
- • More 1 in 4 New Yorkers newly diagnosed with HIV in New York City is Hispanic
- • Almost one-third of people living with HIV/AIDS in New York (30,058 people) are Hispanic
- • Of foreign-born Hispanics living with HIV/AIDS approximately 30% were born in the Caribbean, 30% in South America, 25% were born in Central America. Fifteen percent of Hispanics living with HIV/AIDS were born in Puerto Rico
Many organizations throughout the City will be hosting events to promote testing and awareness of HIV/AIDS in the Latino community, including the Latino Commission on AIDS. For more information on events, please see: www.nlaad.org.
DOHMH Clinic Locations
2238 Fifth Avenue (137th Street)
New York, NY 10037
90-37 Parsons Blvd. 1st Flr. (off Jamaica Ave.)
Jamaica, NY 11432
phone: 718 262-5572
158 East 115th Street (off Lexington Avenue)
New York, NY 10029
34-33 Junction Blvd. (Roosevelt/Northern)
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
303 Ninth Avenue (28th Street)
New York, NY 10001
67-19 Rockaway Beach Blvd.
Queens, NY 11692
160 West 100th Street (between Columbus/Amsterdam)
New York, NY 10025
335 Central Avenue (between Linden St and Grove St)
Brooklyn, NY 11221
phone: (718)573-4820 and (718) 573-4823
295 Flatbush Ave. Extension 2nd Flr.
Brooklyn, NY 11201
phone: 718- 643-4133
1309 Fulton Avenue (E 169th Street off 3rd Ave)
Bronx, NY 10456
51 Stuyvesant Place (Wall Street)
Staten Island, NY 10301
For more information about HIV testing, call 3-1-1 or visiting www.nyc.gov/health. Ordering condoms online is easy: log on to nyc.gov/health/condoms.