NEW YORK CITY – December 20, 2005 – The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) remains open for business during the transit strike. All essential activities – including disease monitoring at hospital emergency departments – are operating normally to ensure public health and safety.
- Vital Records:
- Birth certificates are available during normal business hours (9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at 125 Worth Street, Room 133. The Burial Desk remains open 24 hours, 7 days a week for death certificates.
- The Burial Desk at the Bedford Health Center in Brooklyn (485 Throop Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11221) will extend its hours and remain open until 8 p.m. this evening, and for each evening until 8 p.m. for the duration of the transit strike.
- Health Clinics: Most health clinics, including those providing Immunization, Tuberculosis and Sexual Transmitted Disease services across the City, continue to operate under normal business hours. Please call 311 to confirm clinic hours in your neighborhood.
- Public Health Laboratories: Continue to operate normally.
- Inspections: Restaurant, day care, other inspections continue to operate with some limitations due to travel.
For more information about DOHMH services, please visit http://www.nyc.gov/health.