Some Facts about Suicide
- There are far more suicides each year than homicides. In fact, in from 2008 - 2010, the number of U.S. suicides has been more than twice that of homicides.
- In 2010, more than 38,000 people died nationally by suicide.
- In 2009, there were an estimated 374,486 people nationwide with self-inflicted injuries are treated in emergency departments. The number increased to 464,995 in 2010 and 487,770 in 2011.
You can call Lifenet for yourself of for a friend
Lifenet is a free, confidential help line for New York City residents. You can call 24 hours per day/7 days a week. The staff of trained mental health professionals help callers find mental health and substance abuse services.
► 1-877-AYUDESE (1-877-298-3373) in Espanõl
► 1-877-990-8585 for Korean and Chinese callers (Mandarin & Cantonese )
► 1-212-982-5284 (TTY for hearing impaired)
Suicide Warning Signs
You can help prevent suicide by learning the warning signs. The following signs may mean someone is at risk for suicide. The risk of suicide is greater if a behavior is new or has increased and if it seems related to a painful event, loss, or change.
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill themselves
- Looking for a way to kill themselves, such as searching online or buying a gun
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or isolating themselves
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Displaying extreme mood swings
Age Group Differences
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 25- to 34-year olds and the third leading cause of death among 15- to 24-year olds.
- Suicide among 45- to 54-year-olds is a growing problem; the national rate of suicide is higher in this age group than in any other.
- Although older adults engage in suicide attempts less than those in other age groups, they have a higher rate of death by suicide
► Learn about suicidal thoughts in teens and
how to help a friend or loved one who is feeling suicidal.
Some of this information has been excerpted from the Suicide Prevention Resource Center.
Last Updated: May 8, 2013