Crisis Respite Centers offer an alternative to hospitalization for people experiencing emotional crises. They are largely driven by peers - who themselves have had their own experiences with the mental health system.
Crisis respite centers offer a place where people can stay overnight in a calm, open, and supportive environment. Crisis Respite Centers serve those anticipating or experiencing emotional crisis for stays of one night to a maximum of seven days. They provide an innovative and unique complementary service to traditional emergency room and inpatient care where people seeking temporary respite care can stay in a warm, safe, and supportive home-like environment where they can learn new recovery and relapse prevention skills. This is achieved through:
- 24/7 On-Site Peer Support
- Health and Wellness Coaching
- Wellness Activities
- Health Navigation
- Assistance strengthening living skills
- Assistance strengthening coping techniques or mechanisms
- Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) or other relapse prevention planning
- Coordination with other service providers
Who is eligible to stay in Crisis Respite Centers?
Crisis Respite Services are open to all New Yorkers who meet the following basic eligibility criteria:
- Currently experiencing a psychiatric crisis as defined by the experience of challenges in daily life that have resulted in, or are at risk of creating, an escalation in psychiatric symptoms which cannot be managed in the person’s current living situation
- Be 18 year of age or older
- Have a diagnosis of serious mental illness, or probable diagnosis of a serious mental illness (such as schizophreniform disorder or psychosis NOS)
- Voluntarily seek to stay at the Crisis Respite Center
- Not be at imminent risk to self or others
How can someone get in touch with a Crisis Respite Center?
Referrals to Parachute NYC may go centrally to 1-800-LIFENET (1-800 543-3638).
Spanish: 1-877-AYUDESE: (1-800-298-3373)
If you prefer to contact a Crisis Respite Center directly, please call:
Chinese: 1800-ASIAN LIFENET: (1-800-990-8585)
Other languages 1-800-LIFENET: (1-800-543-3638)
TTY hard of hearing: (212-982-5384)
Queens: 718- 464-0375
See a list of Parachute NYC Crisis Respite Center websites below for more information regarding services, including eligibility forms for some locations:
Manhattan Respite Center
Brooklyn Respite Center
Bronx Respite Center
Queens Respite Center