Choosing the right health plan for you and your family should be based upon where you want to go for your health care. These are some things to think about before you meet with an enrollment facilitator:
- What hospitals or clinics do you want to go to?
- Do you have a doctor or dentist that you want to continue to see?
- What health plans do they accept?
NYC DOHMH ClinicsThe following Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Clinics have Facilitated Enrollers to assist you with
Facilitated Enrollment Locations
Chelsea Health Center
303 Ninth Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10001
Washington Heights Health Center
600 West 168th Street
New York, N.Y. 10032
Tremont Health Center
1826 Arthur Avenue
Bronx, New York 10457
Homecrest Health Center
1601 Avenue S.
Brooklyn, New York 11229
718-336-2553 Ext: 144/146
Fort Greene Health Center
295 Flatbush Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11201
Crown Heights Health Center
1218 Prospect Place (Basement)
Brooklyn, New York 11213
Corona Health Center
34-33 Junction Boulevard,
New York 11372
Jamaica Health Center
90-37 Parsons Boulevard,
Jamaica, New York 11432
Richmond Health Center
51 Stuyvesant Place
Staten Island, N.Y. 10301
back to top
For additional information about available health insurance programs and how to apply call 311.
What do I need to apply for health insurance?
Don't worry if you don't have everything on this list. Our Facilitated Enroller can help you get everything you need. Some additional paperwork may be required, which you will also receive help with.
You will need to show one document for each category:
- Proof of Identity and Age: birth certificate*, passport*, baptismal/religious record*, valid driver’s license or official photo ID, marriage records, naturalization certificate* school records, adoption records, hospital record* (under 16 years of age) (Note: *Items satisfies citizenship status (if born in the
- Household Income (document all sources, provide most recent proof): last 4 paychecks stubs, employer verification form, tax returns, business records, benefit check stub, public benefit award letter, correspondence from Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Home Address: rent receipt, lease, utility bill, dated letter with your address, official photo ID with address (Proof must be dated within 6 months of application)
- Household Expenses: (Not required for children under 19 and pregnant women) rent receipt/lease, mortgage payment, heating costs (if not included in rent)
- Social Security Number (if available, not needed for pregnant women) Social Security card, tax return, SSA letter, Social Security application (SS-5)
- Child Care and Adult Dependent Costs: if applicable, will be used as a deduction against your income.
- Citizenship/Immigration Status: birth certificate; United States passport; “Green Card”; Native American Tribal Document. Pregnant women do not have to submit proof of citizenship/immigration status. Children who in live in New York State and do not have other health insurance are eligible, regardless of immigration status. The enrollment facilitator will explain type of documentation required.
- Other Health Insurance: enrollment facilitator will explain which programs require this information.
- Medical Bills: if applicable, paid or unpaid - up to 3 months before date of signed enrollment application.
back to top
Last Updated 1/28/13