Breast milk is the optimal food for the growth and development of infants.
The Health Department Employee Lactation Program is available to any Health Department employee who has returned from maternity leave or is a new employee who is nursing. The program is designed to support working mothers to continue to provide breast milk for their infants after returning to work for as long as desired.
The Department of Health Employee Lactation Program consists of:
- A lactation room at 125 Worth Street, Room 1035, with two pumps
- Two lactation rooms at 2 Gotham, each with three pumps: 14th and 16th floor
- Loaner pumps for employees at other DOHMH locations, including pump kits
- A 30-minute phone session with an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)
- Quarterly Q&A calls with an IBCLC and monthly Brown Bag Support Group at 2 Gotham
- Pump kit, educational materials on breastfeeding and parenting
There is no fee for any of these services. Employees should inform their direct supervisor of their participation in the program. It is mutually understood by the supervisor and the employee that the employee must complete a full workday.
Two to four weeks before returning to work, or starting as a new employee, complete the Employee Lactation Program Registration Form. One may download a copy of the registration form or request it by e-mailing BFIC@health.nyc.gov. Return the completed registration form by emailing it back to email@example.com, faxing it to 347-396-4565, or dropping it off in person to a Health Department Employee Lactation Program administrator.
All services are free of charge.
For further information, see:
Citywide Employee Lactation Program Initiative
The Health Department has been working with other interested NYC Agencies to assist in development and implementation of employee lactation programs. The following organizations have implemented the employee lactation programs:
Department of Homeless Services (DHD)
If you would like assistance in establishing a program or to have an existing program listed, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your organization name and brief program description.
Tools and resources