If you can answer yes to any of these questions, it is a good idea to get a test:
- Are you pregnant? All pregnant women should get the test for Hepatitis B.
- Did your mother have Hepatitis B when you were born?
- Do you need chemotherapy or immunosuppressive therapy?
- Have you ever been on dialysis?
- Have you ever been stuck with a needle or been exposed to someone's blood while on the job?
- Have you ever used a razor, toothbrush, or other household item that may have had blood or sexual fluids on it?
- Have you been diagnosed with HIV or any STD?
- Are you a man who has sex with men?
- Have you had sex with more than one partner in a 6-month period?
- Have you ever injected drugs or shared any drug use equipment (needles, cookers, cotton, straws, pipes)?
- Have you ever been incarcerated?
- Did you ever get a tattoo or piercing anywhere other than a licensed business?
- Do you have abnormal liver tests for an unknown reason?
- Have you ever been told you have Hepatitis?
- Were you born in one of the following areas of the world?
- Were either of your parents born in one of the following areas of the world?
- Do you live with someone from one of the following countries of the world?
- Do you travel to one of the following countries?
Map courtesy of CDC
Australia & South Pacific:
all countries except Australia and New Zealand
all countries except Cyprus and Israel
all countries except Hungary
Malta, Spain, and indigenous populations
Alaska Natives and indigenous populations in Northern Canada:
Guatemala and Honduras
Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname, Venezuela, and Amazonian areas of Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, and Peru
Antigua-Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, and Turks and Caicos Islands
Do You Need a Hepatitis B test? (PDF)
Other languages: [En Español] [中文]
► Living with Chronic Hepatitis B
► Back to Hepatitis B information
Last Updated: January 30, 2012