The Department of Health no longer offers the Swimming Pool Operator's Course.
In New York City, a Pool Operator Certificate is required to operate a pool in a health club, residential apartment building, hotel and or other location where the public may have access to the pool. The certificate ensures that the operator has been trained in the safe and effective operation and maintenance of pool treatment equipment. The following is a list of courses that have been approved by the New York State Department of Health to provide certification courses in pool operations. Please contact one of them to enroll in a course.
- National Swimming Pool Foundation - Certified Pool/Spa Operator (CPO)
- YMCA – Pool Operator on Location (POOL)
- National Recreation and Park Association – Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO)
- Starfish Aquatics Institute - AquaTech Course
- American Swimming Pool and Spa Association (APPSA) – Licensed Aquatic Facility Technician Class Room Course (LAFT)