Choose safe products. Before you buy any product:
- Read the label.
- Choose products with child-resistant caps whenever possible
- Compare products.
- Buy the smallest amount possible.
► See You Can Poison Proof Your Home (PDF)
Other languages: :[Español][中文][Русский][Creole]
Use products safely. Be sure to:
- Read the directions each time you use a product.
- Don't leave your child alone with a product, not even for a second,
to answer the door or telephone.
- Keep the lights on and wear your glasses whenever taking medicine
► Use the Poison Lookout Checklist
to help you poison proof your home.
Store all products safely. Be sure to:
- Keep products out of reach in a locked cabinet
- Store all products in original containers. Never store poisons in a food or beverage bottle.
- Store food and non-food products separately-packaging often looks similar
- Use child-resistant containers and keep them
- Dispose of products safely.
- Keep your purse out of reach of children.
- Never call medicine candy. Children should know the difference.
- Keep medicines in a locked cabinet out of reach.
- Do not take medicine in front of children. Children often imitate adults.
- Teach children not to take medicine unless given to them by an adult they trust.
► See Is it Medicine or Candy? (PDF)
Other languages: :[Español][中文
► See Put Your Medicines Up and Away and Out of Sight
Be safe about plants.
- Choose non-poisonous plants for your home. Ask your poison control center or a local florist about a plant's safety.
- Learn which plants are toxic to children and pets. Label the plants.
- Keep plants up high and out of reach of children and pets.
► See You Can Prevent Plant Poisonings (PDF)
Other languages: [Español][中文] [Русский] [Haitian-Creole]