New Yorkers with lingering stress after Hurricane Sandy can reach out to 1-800-LIFENET. LifeNet offers free and confidential mental health and substance abuse information, referral, and crisis hotline services for New York City residents 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
Many New Yorkers still struggle a year after Hurricane Sandy.
Emotional Support is still available with Project Hope.
Fear, anxiety, anger, sadness and helplessness are common after any traumatic event. Project HOPE can help you cope, manage stress, and move forward.
Strong emotions are common and can take different forms:
- Fear, anxiety, anger, sadness, helplessness
- Stomach or body aches, changes in eating or sleeping habits, increased alcohol or drug use.
Project HOPE provides:
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Public Education
- Assessment and referrals
Project HOPE helps individuals, families, schools, businesses and community groups. All services are free, confidential and provided at a time and place that work for you.
How to Cope with the Anniversary of Hurricane Sandy
- Recognize your strength and how far you have come since Hurricane Sandy
- Be patient with yourself – it may take time to cope with a traumatic event
- Connect with others – be a caring neighbor, reach out to an old friend, spend time with your family
- Take time to talk with your children and carefully listen to what they have to say about how they are feeling after the storm
For More Information Please Call, 1-800-LIFENET. Talk To Someone. Confidential. Free. 24/7. LIFENET can refer you to a Project Hope counselor near you.
The Project Hope Hurricane Sandy Anniversary Campaign
Project Hope Coping Tips
Project Hope NYC Encounters
Project Hope Data through Jan. 25, 2014
|Crisis counselors and team leaders
|Individual, family and group encounters
|Unique individuals reached
If you feel overwhelmed after Hurricane Sandy, please call 1-800-LIFENET (1-800-543-3638), a confidential referral hotline network matching Hurricane Sandy survivors with a Project HOPE provider agency (PDF) in your community. LIFENET services are free, confidential, and available in more than 140 languages:
Spanish: 1-877-AYUDESE (1-877-298-3373)
Asian LIFENET: 1-877-900-8585