If you cannot find the variables needed for your analysis in the Limited Use Birth File Format or the Limited Use Death File Format, you may request a customized data set that contains identifiable variables. However, most requests can be fulfilled with a limited use data set, unless identifiable variables are necessary for your project. Examples of identifiable variables include:
- Certificate numbers
- Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) numbers
- Social Security numbers
- Census tracts/blocks
- Exact measures (e.g. birth weight)
- Write-in items/literals
- Medical record numbers
Use of identifiable data must comply with the New York City Health Code and the identified data sharing procedures developed by the Office of Vital Statistics. It also may require approvals by an Institutional Review Board and/or the Commissioner of Health. All applications must be accompanied by affidavits signed by anyone who will have access the data.
Application Process for Identifiable Data:
- Read our frequently asked questions (PDF).
- Complete the application (PDF). Use N/A for questions that aren't applicable. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- If necessary, contact the Data Use Office for identifiable data variables not listed above.
- Obtain signatures for all necessary affidavits.
- Notarize all affidavits. Notarization not required for New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene projects.
- Make a PDF copy of the application. Scan the Application and all affidavits.
- Submit the following materials to VSdata@health.nyc.gov
- One MS Word copy of the application (this application may be amended and returned to you with questions from the Office of Vital Statistics)
- One PDF copy of the application (this will serve as the record on file)
- One MS Word copy of any required matching grid
- One PDF copy of each signed affidavit
You may be contacted by the Health Department for additional information. Some requests may require a fee to process.
Please allow 4-8 weeks to process your application.