This program provides a property tax exemption for senior citizens who own one, two, or three family homes, condominiums, or cooperative apartments.
- Age: All owners must be 65 years of age or older in the year that they apply. (For example, if the filing due date is March 15, 2014, you would need to be 65 by December 31, 2014). If you own your property with either a spouse or sibling, only one of you needs to meet this age requirement.
- Income: The combined income of all owners and their spouses cannot be more than $37,399. Income includes, but is not limited to, Social Security and retirement benefits, interest, dividends, capital gains, net rental income, salary or earnings and net income from self-employment.
- Residency: All owners must occupy the property and have it as their primary residence unless:
- One of the owners is a non-resident because he or she is a spouse or used to be a spouse of the resident owner and is not living there because of divorce, legal separation or abandonment.
- One of the owners is absent because he or she is receiving health-related services as an in-patient of a residential health care facility.
- If either of these situations applies, the only person who can reside on the property during that period is the spouse or co-owner.
Note: You cannot receive both SCHE and DHE (Disabled Homeowner Exemption). If you qualify for both, we will only grant SCHE.
The table below helps you estimate how much your assessed value might be reduced by.
|If the Owners' Income Is Between
||(SCHE) Can Reduce The Assessed Value By
|$36,500 and $37,399
|$35,600 and $36,499
|$34,700 and $35,599
|$33,800 and $34,699
|$32,900 and $33,799
|$32,000 and $32,899
|$31,000 and $31,999
|$30,000 and $30,999
|$29,001 and $29,999
|$0 and $29,000
Your Exemption Application for Homeowners and all required documents must be postmarked by March 15 (or the next business day if March 15 is on a weekend) for your exemption to begin on July 1 in the same year.
Please note that if you are a senior who is eligible for SCHE and you purchase property after the March 15 deadline, you can apply for the benefit within 30 days after the purchase.
Forms and Reports
Note for Property Owners: You may also be eligible to receive the following exemptions: Basic or Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR), Clergy, and Veterans.