Clergy Exemption

This exemption provides a $1,500 property tax exemption on a property owned by a member of the clergy. Owners of co-ops are not eligible for the clergy exemption. If the clergy member is deceased, an unmarried surviving spouse can also get the exemption.


  • Residency: The clergy member (or unmarried surviving spouse) must be a resident of New York State.
  • Age: The clergy member must be over 70 years of age if retired.
  • Occupation: If the clergy member is not retired, his or her main job must be working for the denomination s/he belongs to.

For benefits to begin on July 1 of the year you apply, your Clergy Exemption application and all of the required documents must be postmarked by March 15. If March 15 falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the next business day.

Forms and Reports
Clergy Exemption Application  

Note for Property Owners:
You may also be eligible to receive the following exemptions: Basic or Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR), Disabled Homeowner, Senior Citizen Homeowner and Veterans.
Read More