Redeem a Towed Vehicle

How to locate your towed vehicle
To locate your towed vehicle and determine the agency that did the tow use the Towed Vehicle Locator or contact 311.

The procedure to get your vehicle back depends on whether your vehicle was towed by the NYC Police Department, the City Marshal or the Sheriff’s Office.

Note: If your vehicle was booted before it was towed, you must call the boot release line at 1-877-207-2134. You must pay all of your outstanding judgment debt. You will then receive information for getting your vehicle back.

Violation Tow by NYPD

  • If your illegally parked vehicle was towed, locate the address of the NYPD Tow Pound in the borough where your vehicle was towed and pay the tow fees to get your vehicle back. (Parking tickets cannot be paid at the tow pound.)
  • If you have $101 or more in unpaid parking tickets in Judgment, you must first pay Finance the judgment debt and penalties before you go to the NYPD Tow Pound to get your vehicle back. Here’s how to pay:
    • Go to a Finance Business Center.
    • Pay the judgment debt, fines and fees.
    • Ask for a Vehicle Release Form.
    • Take the Vehicle Release form to the NYPD impound lot, pay towing fees and get your vehicle.
    • NYPD impound lots accept major credit cards, cash, certified check and money orders.
  • Once you redeem your vehicle, you will still need to resolve the ticket that caused the tow by either paying or requesting a hearing from the Department of Finance.

Judgment Tow by City Marshal or Deputy Sheriff (after you were booted)

  • You may be towed if you did not remove the boot on your vehicle within 48 hours of being booted. For details on booting, click here.
  • Pay your judgment debt by calling the boot release line at 877-207-2134 or in person at a Finance Business Center.
  • If you pay at a Finance Business Center, request a Vehicle Release Form. If you pay over the phone, you do not need a release form.
  • Take the Vehicle Release Form (you will only have one if you paid at a Finance Business Center) to the impound lot to get your vehicle.
  • Finance Business Centers accept cash, money orders, certified checks, Visa, Discover, MasterCard and American Express. Credit cards must be in the vehicle’s registered owner’s name.

Stopping a Tow in Progress
If you come across your car being put on a tow truck, you can stop the tow if you call 1-877-207-2134 immediately to pay your judgment debt and fees over the phone. You will not be charged the full tow fee but must pay a tow dispatch fee of $69.50.

If you want to have a hearing you must visit a Finance Business Center. For more information click here.

If you do not pick up your vehicle within 72 hours of the tow, the auction process will begin. You can request a “Sale Hold” by going to any Finance Business Center. The vehicle may be auctioned off as soon as 10 days after it was towed.

The total amount that you will be required to pay can be determined by using the following chart:

a. Amount due for Parking Debt on tickets 100 days old or older

$ ______

b. Execution Fee

$    75.00

c. Tow Fee * - $135.00 if after booting you are towed by the Marshal or Sheriff. $185 if you are towed by the NYPD. $370.00 for vehicles over 8,000 pounds towed by the NYPD.

$ ______   

d. Sheriff's Storage Fee* @ $10-15/day (see note below) or Marshal's Storage Fee @ $10/day for first 3 days and $15/day after 3rd day after the Tow Date.

$ ______

e. Subtotal
    (add lines [a] through [d])

$ ______

f. Multiply line [e] by 5%
   (Line [e] x .05)

$ ______

g. Total Amount Due
    (Line [e] + Line [f])

$ ______

Notes: Sheriff Storage Fee = $10/day on Days 1, 2 and 3. Fee increases to $15 a day on the fourth day. 

* Tow Fee and Storage Fee subject to 8.875% sales tax.


If you need a hearing to contest one or more of the outstanding parking tickets, you must ask for one at a Finance Business Center.

Department of Motor Vehicle Offenses
You will not be able to retrieve a towed vehicle if you do not have valid registration or insurance.

If your registration is not valid or you have some other DMV issue due to outstanding parking tickets, you must first pay your tickets at a Finance Business Center (for a Sheriff tow) or the Marshal's Office (for a Marshal tow). After you have paid all your tickets, you must take the registration clearance or other documents to DMV to have your registration re-instated or other DMV issue corrected. Once you have a valid registration or license from DMV, you can go to the tow facility and redeem your vehicle.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to vehicles that are not picked up?
Vehicles that are not picked up are sold at auction.

Lien Holders & Third Party Interests
Lien Holders with secured interests in towed vehicles should contact the Parking Enforcement Unit. Have the plate number and vehicle description ready.

Fleet and Rental Program Vehicles
If the towed vehicle is a member of the Fleet or Rental Program, you must email the Fleet/Rental Assignment Unit.

What if I'm uninsured?
You must have a current insurance card to get your vehicle back from any impound location. Your vehicle will not be released if you do not have valid insurance.

How can I remove personal property from my car?
Request a property release for personal property, like luggage or a baby car seat. However, tires, radios, batteries, and other parts of the vehicle may not be removed. Non-owners must bring a notarized letter signed by the vehicle owner allowing them to remove personal property. If a vehicle belongs to a firm or business, proof of employment must also be presented.

Can someone else get my vehicle back for me?
Yes, but they must have a notarized letter from the registered owner and the original title or registration (no copies).

What identification and documentation must I have to get my vehicle back?
You need:

  • A valid Driver's License,
  • The original vehicle registration stub (or the title),
  • The vehicle's Insurance Card, and
  • A Vehicle Release form (for both Marshal and NYPD Violation Towed Vehicles with outstanding judgment debt).