The Manhattan Resident Parking Tax Exemption reduces the tax on rental parking spaces by 8%, from 18.375% to 10.375%.
The vehicle must be:
- individually owned by the applicant
- registered to the owner's primary residence in Manhattan
- parked in a long-term rented space for a month or more, and
- driven for personal use only. (Commercial, rental or company vehicles are not eligible for the exemption.)
Applications are also available at many Manhattan parking garages and lots.
If we approve your application, we will mail you a certificate which states the month the exemption will go into effect. You will need to submit the bottom portion of the certificate to your parking facility.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Updating Your Information
You must resubmit the application form, including all required documentation, to report:
- Change of Manhattan residence
- Change of parking garage or lot
- Change of parking facility’s Consumer Affairs License Number
- Change of vehicle and/or license plate number
You will receive a renewal notice every other June. You must submit your renewal by August 31 to avoid an interruption of the benefit during the 2-year period beginning September 1.
Renew your exemption online
Fraud and Misuse of Exemption
Fines and/or penalties are charged to anyone who improperly obtains or misuses a Manhattan Resident Parking Tax Exemption Certificate.
Contact 311, E-mail Manhattan Resident Parking Tax Exemptions, or write to the Parking Tax Exemption Unit at the address below.
New York City Department of Finance
Parking Tax Exemption Unit
59 Maiden Lane - 24th Floor
New York, NY 10038