Eligible Representatives

Normally, the registered owner of a vehicle disputes his or her own parking ticket. However, you can dispute a parking ticket on behalf of someone else. For example, you may have a hearing for a ticket you received while driving a car that is registered to a friend or family member. You may also dispute a ticket on behalf of a friend or family member who is out of the country or too ill to attend a hearing. Appearance requirements:

  • Spouse of Registered Owner - If you have the same last name and address, no authorization is required. If you have different last names and/or addresses you must bring proof of marriage.
  • Registered Domestic Partner of Registered Owner - You must bring proof of your domestic partnership.
  • Other Family Member or Friend of Registered Owner - You must bring a notarized letter from the car's registered owner authorizing you to dispute the ticket.

Got Tickets? Your Guide to Parking Ticket Hearings
Describes common defenses to most violations and what evidence is needed to support the defense you're claiming.