The Buildings Department has several resources available to assist homeowners and tenants in buying, renting, building, maintaining and greening their homes.
The Department hosts weekly informational sessions for residents to meet with Department representatives. Homeowners’ Night is every Tuesday night from 4:00pm to 7:00pm at each borough office.
During the weekly Homeowners and Residents Night, New Yorkers can obtain:
- Advice on home construction plans, including the permitting process;
- Information on how to check a contractor’s license status;
- Guidance on reducing energy costs by weatherizing residences; Instructions on how to resolve Department-issued violations;
- Recommendations on steps to take before purchasing a home or signing a lease;
- Direction on how to secure or amend a property’s Certificate of Occupancy;
- Permit guidelines for common home improvements, such as kitchen renovations and backyard shed installation; and
- Guidance on using the Buildings Information System (BIS) to search property history and permit information.
There is no need to make an advance appointment, simply visit your local borough office:
Manhattan Borough Office
280 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10007
Bronx Borough Office
1932 Arthur Ave., 5th Fl.
Bronx, NY 10457
Queens Borough Office
120-55 Queens Blvd.
Kew Gardens, NY 11424
Brooklyn Borough Office
210 Joralemon Street, 8th Fl.
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Staten Island Borough Office
10 Richmond Terrace, Borough Hall, 2nd Fl.
SI, NY 10301