Newsletter Sign-up Weather Advisories Owner's Bill of Rights Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page
House #
Street Name
Plumbing Applications and Permits

Work involving the alteration, rearrangement, relocation or permanent removal of any piping must be supervised by a Licensed Master Plumber or Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractor. The Licensed Master Plumber or Fire Suppression Piping Contractor must obtain permits from the Department and arrange for necessary tests and inspections of completed work by a Department inspector.

Plumbing Application and Permit Guide (PDF)
Guide to Successful Plumbing Inspections (PDF)
Fire Pump Installation and Testing Guide (PDF)

Minor Installations and Repairs

Contractors seeking to perform minor plumbing and oil burner installations/repairs or sprinkler and standpipe work can obtain a Limited Alteration Application (LAA) if the job meets certain criteria.
Learn more

Work That Does Not Require a Permit

Simple repairs or direct replacement of existing faucets or fixtures such as toilets and sinks are considered cosmetic work and do not require a permit. Direct replacement involves work that does not alter or change the fixture's hot and cold water shutoff valves or fixture trap.

Hiring a Plumber/Fire Suppression Piping Contractor

To verify if a plumber or fire suppression piping contractor is licensed, use the Department's license search.
License Search
Plumbing License Information

The New York Fire Sprinkler Contractor's Association
The Plumbing Foundation of New York City
The Mechanical Contractors Association of New York, Inc.

Important Links:
Plumbing Home
Plumbing Forms