The Permit Renewal unit issues renewals on active permits and permits that have expired, but have activity on the application within a two year period of the permit expiration date for various types of general construction within the five boroughs. The unit also provides the following additional services:
- Superseding active permits
- General contractor's tracking number insurance update
- Review permit renewal submissions that have “work without a permit violations”. The unit may override or assess the civil penalty of such violations as deemed necessary.
- Process outstanding civil penalty fee payments due.
Hours and Processing Information
Our customer service hours at the window are now 9 AM to 3 PM Monday through Friday. All walk-ins that would like their applications processed the same day should make their submissions prior to 1 PM. There are two ways in which you can receive your renewed permit:
- permits may be picked up,
- permits may be mailed.
Please indicate your preference when submitting your application on the addressed return envelope.
Tips on Properly Completing a Permit Renewal Application:
Other Related Links:
- Notarize permit renewal application in section 8, when a renewal with change is required.
- Enclose an individual $100.00 check for each work type.
- Check off only one work type per application.
- Sidewalk shed permits always require approval letters in order to be renewed. The letter must include:
- A description of the condition of the building or portion of building, and the amount of work performed since issuance of the last shed permit.
- An estimate of the amount of time needed to complete the work as well as the name, address and telephone number of the property owner.
- An original signature and seal from a professional engineer or registered architect, attesting to the items listed above.
- Remember to indicate on the addressed return envelope. Whether you want your permit to be mailed to you or whether you plan to pick it up.
- Fence Waiver letters must be signed and dated by an authorized Department of Buildings official only.