Newsletter Sign-up Weather Advisories Owner's Bill of Rights Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page
House #
Street Name
Insurance Guidelines

  1. Your license/registration/tracking number(s) must appear on all forms.

  2. Your business name and address must match Department records.

  3. Any corrected forms must be submitted by your insurance producer or insurance broker.

  4. The Certificate Holder box must read:

    New York City Department of Buildings
    Attn: Licensing Unit
    280 Broadway, 6th Floor
    New York, NY 10007

  5. If you update a cancelled policy, you must submit a letter of re-instatement along with the updated insurance certificate.

  6. All information must be typed. Handwritten corrections are not accepted.

General Liability

  • Each occurrence must be a minimum of 1 million dollars.
  • Your insurance producer/broker must provide their business name, location and an office phone number.
  • Accepted Forms:
    • Acord 25 (2009/01) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
    • Acord 25 (2009/09) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
    • Acord 25 (2010/05) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
Workers Compensation
  • The business telephone number is required on C105.2 (9/07) and GSI 105.2 (2/02).
  • Accepted Forms:
    • U26.3 – Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Ins (NYS Insurance Fund only)
    • C105.2 (9/07) – Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Insurance
    • GSI 105.2 (2/02) – Certificate of Participation in Workers’ Compensation
  • A business telephone number must be included.
  • Your insurance policy number and Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) must appear on your Disability certificate.
  • Accepted Forms:
    • DB 120.1 (5/06) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law

Affidavit of Exemption from WC and Disability

You may submit an Affidavit of Exemption from worker’s compensation and disability insurance if there are no employees in your company.

Note: General Contractors (Registered/Non-Registered) and Safety Registration applicants cannot submit an affidavit of exemption.

  • You must submit the original Affidavit (not a copy).
  • Your Affidavit must have an original signature and date.
  • Accepted Forms:
    • CE-200 – Certificate of Attestation of Exemption from New York State Worker’s Compensation and/or Disability Benefits Insurance Coverage

Online Certificate of Attestation of Exemption Form (CE-200)

New Certificates
Submit documents in person to:

Licensing Unit
Department of Buildings
280 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Updating Certificates:

Submit documents by:

Email: (for general contractor and safety registration only).

Fax:   (646) 500 - 6247 or
          (646) 500 - 6249

          (646) 500 - 6248 (General Contractors)

Mail: Licensing Unit
NYC Department of Buildings
280 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Insurance Guidelines (PDF)
General Liability Insurance