Newsletter Sign-up Weather Advisories Owner's Bill of Rights Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page
House #
Street Name
Home Improvement Contractors (HIC)

Home Improvement Contractor Requirements

Effective as of November 15, 2005, the Department of Buildings (DOB) and Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) will require contractors to submit their Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) license and number when obtaining a permit for Alteration 1, 2, and 3 applications for:

  • 1, 2, 3 or 4 family homes
  • Co-op units, condo units or rented apartment units

Who will this affect?

  • Any construction contractor
  • Professional Engineers or Registered Architects hiring a contractor (design – build contracts)

Who is exempt?

Local Law 21 of 1968 (Section 20-397), exempts licensed plumbers, architects, engineers and anyother person who is required by state or city law to obtain a license when the work is exclusively within the scope of the craft, profession or business for which he or she is currently licensed.

A Home Improvement License is not required if you are:

  • A Professional Engineer or a Registered Architect who does not have a Design-Build Contract
  • A subcontractor
  • A homeowner performing his or her own work
  • A contractor for a new building or for work done to fulfill a guarantee of completion of a new building
  • Performing work in a residence that is owned or controlled by a government agency
  • Performing work in only the commercial portion of a building
  • Performing work in a Multiple Dwelling and hired by the building owner or Board of Directors

How to file

In Section 6 of the PW2, the contractor must respond to the “HIC License” question (Does the Work Permit applied for require an HIC license?). If “Yes”, the contractor must provide the HIC license number in the space provided and present the license or a copy to the permit clerk for validation. If applicable, you may present an HIC Affidavit (HIC1) to have the requirement waived.

You can also download a copy of the
 Home Improvement Contractor License Requirement (PDF).

Resources from Department of Consumer Affairs:

  1. To apply for a Home Improvement Contractor license: 
  2. Home Improvement Consumer Guide:

For a copy of the actual law regarding this license category call 311 or visit the DCA Licensing Center at 42 Broadway, 5th Floor New York, NY 10004.

Other Related Link:
Home Improvement Contractor License Requirement FAQ
Operation PPN #3/05
Home Improvement Contractor Affidavit
Other Department of Buildings FAQ A-L
Other Department of Buildings FAQ M-Z