SECTION 1: REGISTRATION CRITERIA
To become a registered Class 1 or Class 2 Filing Representative, you must:
- Meet registration qualifications.
- Register for and complete the appropriate training courses.
- Apply for registration and pay the required fees.
Section 28-416.2 of the New York City Administrative Code exempts the following persons from registration:
- Registered Architects
- Professional Engineers
- NYS Licensed Attorneys
- Master Plumbers
- Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractors
- Master Electricians
SECTION 2: REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants applying for a Class 1 Filing Representative registration must meet the following requirements:
Applicants applying for a Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative registration must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Meet one of the following experience qualifications:
- Four-year college degree in architecture or engineering from an accredited college (must submit copy of degree or transcript); or
- Four-year college degree in another field from an accredited college plus two years as a registered filing representative with the Department on at least 50 jobs within four years of application for registration (must submit copy of degree or transcript).
To determine the number of jobs associated with your filing representative registration number on a Plan / Work Application (PW1), use the filing representative search feature in the Buildings Information System.