Newsletter Sign-up Weather Advisories Owner's Bill of Rights Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page
House #
Street Name
Concrete Testing FAQs

What if I don’t have the concrete mix information?
This information is available through the concrete testing lab that created the mix.

Who is responsible for submitting the TR2?
The TR2 must be submitted by a licensed concrete testing lab.

When does the TR2 need to be submitted?
The TR2 must be submitted prior the issuance of the permit to identify the lab that will perform the testing. Before signoff, a completed TR2 with test results must be submitted.

Who is responsible for submitting the TR3?
The TR3 must be submitted by a licensed concrete testing lab.

When does the TR3 need to be submitted?
The TR3 must be submitted prior to the issuance of the permit to identify the concrete mix to be used on the job site.

Are two separate labs required to test the concrete mix?
Yes. The lab that performed the mix design (TR3) cannot perform the field testing (TR2) on the same project. See Buildings Bulletin 2010-018 (PDF).

How can I submit a TR2 or TR3 when no concrete has been poured?
These forms capture information about the strength of the concrete mix to be used and the lab performing the concrete testing. It is important that the Department have this information on file before permits are issued and concrete is poured.

Are the TR2 and TR3 required any time my job has concrete?
All jobs with concrete require the submission of these forms except for exclusions stated in BC 1704.4 and Buildings Bulletin 2009-026 (PDF).

Can a contractor make testing cylinders or deliver the cylinders to the laboratory?
No. All testing and sampling required by the NYC Construction Codes must be performed by a laboratory licensed by the Department.

When do I have to submit the new TR1?
Starting October 1, 2009, all submissions of the TR1 will require the new TR1 with the 10/09 date at the bottom of the form. The only exceptions are:

  • If a job has been approved prior to June 30, 2008. In this case you must use the 7/08 version of the form and you do not need to use the new TR1.

  • If a TR1 that has been submitted to identify responsibility for special inspections has been scanned and posted on BIS, you may print out and submit that scanned TR1 when certifying completion of those same special inspections. In this case, you do not need to use the new TR1.

When do I need a licensed concrete testing laboratory?
Anytime a project has more than 50 cubic yards of concrete used, or the concrete work is structural, you will need a concrete-testing laboratory. If your job has less then 50 cubic yards used and the concrete work is non-structural, your job still may need a licensed concrete-testing laboratory. Check with your design professional to determine if one is needed for your job.

When do I need to submit a Concrete Testing Evaluation report?
Submit a Concrete Testing Evaluation report for jobs that were missing the TR2 or TR3 but did not require additional testing or if testing was performed by a lab that is no longer licensed. Submission requirements:

  • The job’s applicant of record must sign, seal and submit the report.

  • All required supporting documents are included, such as test reports.

  • The report includes a statement that the concrete meets the strength requirement in the design documents or the concrete does not meet the strength requirements specified in the design documents, but a structural analysis of the affected areas found the equivalent concrete strength was acceptable.