Newsletter Sign-up Weather Advisories Owner's Bill of Rights Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page
House #
Street Name
Boiler Renewal/Inspection Report FAQs

  1. Q - Why are DEP/DOB implementing this change in filing inspection reports/renewals at the two agencies?

    A - DOB and DEP have worked together to create this “one-stop-shopping” process in order to eliminate confusion and alleviate an unnecessary burden on our customers. This merged process allows owners and/or their representatives to file their DOB annual inspection report and DEP triennial renewal at one location (DOB) on one form and pay one fee. The one exception to this “one-stop-shopping” approach is when insurance companies file the DOB inspection report. In those cases, the filings may still be combined but owners will be billed separately for the DEP portion of the fee.

  2. Q - How do I benefit from submitting both filings together?

    A -

    • Currently the owner files an annual inspection with DOB every year and a triennial renewal with DEP. This amounts to four filings in three years. However, the new procedure allows the owner to file his/her DEP triennial renewal request and DOB annual inspection on one form at the same location. This procedure eliminates the need for a fourth filing and also eliminates the need to travel to both DOB and DEP in the triennial year of expiration.
    • For each filing it saves time and cost of preparation and filing for the owner and/or the applicant.
    • The new procedure will also allow DOB and DEP to accurately “match” their boiler databases. See question # 9 for more information on the matching process.

  3. Q - How do I submit both filings together?

    A - Both the DOB annual inspection report and the DEP triennial renewal may be filed simultaneously by submitting form BO9 at the DOB. Please refer to the form instructions for specifics on how to fill out the form.

  4. Q - Do I now have to file my DOB inspection report prior to the DEP expiration date?

    A - Not at this time. Although we will be addressing the differences in filing dates in the future, for now annual boiler inspections will continue to be required prior to December 31 of each calendar year. DEP renewals will continue to be required triennially on or before the date of issuance/expiration. In the third year, when both filings are required, both filings can be done at the same time.

  5. Q - May I still file my DOB annual inspection report and my DEP triennial renewal separately?

    A - Yes. At this time, it remains optional to submit both filings together. Because the filing dates for the two agencies are not yet aligned (see question # 4), it is still possible to file the reports separately. If you choose to file twice, both filings should be submitted to DOB.

  6. Q - Why does the Department of Buildings (DOB) require that my boiler be inspected annually?

    A - In accordance with Local Law 62/91 and Chapter 31, Article 7, Section 204 of the New York State Labor Law, all boilers, except those listed under the exceptions, must be inspected annually by an authorized boiler inspector.

  7. Q - Who is required to file an Annual Local Law 62/91 Boiler Inspection?

    A - If you own a commercial, mixed use, or six (6) family or greater building containing a boiler, regardless of BTU, then you are required to file an annual boiler inspection with the Department of Buildings. You are required to file annually with the Department of Buildings if your property has a boiler operating 350,000 Btu or above, regardless of building use or occupancy.

  8. Q - Why does the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) require me to renew my registration/certificate to operate every three years?

    A - In accordance with Title 24, Chapter 1, Subchapter 4, Administrative Code Section 24-122(d) "an operating certificate for equipment, except refuse burning equipment, shall be valid for a period of up to three years from the date of issuance, unless sooner revoked or cancelled." DEP found that re-inspecting combustion equipment on a three year cycle is generally adequate for auditing emissions and ties the renewal date to that inspection.

  9. Q - What is my DOB boiler number?

    A - The boiler number is an identification number used by DOB to identify a specific boiler in a building. You can find your boiler number by referring to BISWeb. See question # 13.

  10. Q - How is my DOB boiler number different from my DEP installation number?

    A - DOB assigns each boiler device a unique number. DEP assigns each application a unique installation number. In accordance with the Administrative Code of the City of New York, if identical units are installed and operated in an identical manner in the same building, they can be filed on one application. Therefore, there may be multiple boilers listed under one DEP installation number.

  11. Q - In the past, I've filed a separate renewal form for each installation number. Must I continue to do so?

    A - No, several installation numbers may be renewed at the same time on one BO9 renewal form. Implementation of this new procedure will not only make renewing multiple installation numbers easier, it will allow the two agencies to accurately "match" DOB boiler numbers with DEP installation numbers. Once this is accomplished, the filing process will be made even more straightforward by pre-populating the BO9 form.

  12. Q - How do I find my DEP installation number?

    A - You can find your installation number by referring to BISWeb. See question # 13.

  13. Q - How do I use BISWeb to find out information about my property?

    A - Access to DOB website at Enter your address into the Buildings Information System BISWeb Query to access your Property Profile. You will see a link to DOB Boilers and DEP Boilers on that page.

  14. Q -If my DEP Boiler information does not appear on BISWeb, can I still submit my renewal request to DOB on the BO-9 form?

    A - Yes. If you need DEP boiler information and it does not appear on BISWeb, you can call Bureau of Environmental Compliance, Records Control at (718) 595-3855. Filing your renewal on the BO-9 form at DOB will assist the two agencies in matching this information so that all DEP boiler information/installation numbers will appear on BISWeb in the future.

  15. Q - Who at the DOB can I contact with questions relating to my boiler(s)?

    A -

  16. Q - Who at the DEP can I contact with questions relating to my boiler(s)?

    A - Bureau of Environmental Compliance, Records Control: (718) 595-3855

  17. Q - Can one check or money order cover both filings?

    A - Yes. Once the fee for the filing is calculated the owner may submit a single check or money order to cover the fees for both agencies.

  18. Q - To whom do I make my check or money order payable?

    A - In all cases, whether filing jointly or separately, checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of Buildings.”

  19. Q - If I make an overpayment, how do I request a refund?

    A - All requests for refunds of payment made payable to the Department of Buildings should be made by submitting a letter to NYC Department of Buildings, 280 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10007, Attention: Central Cashier. The letter should include the following:

    • a contact name and telephone number
    • a detailed description of the reason for the request
    • a copy of the BO9 form (front and back)
    • a copy of the cancelled check (front and back)
    • any back-up documentation to support your findings

  20. Q - What is the impact to the boiler electronic filing?

    A - Electronic filing will continue to operate in the same way. An additional seven (7) data fields have been added to the file to account for the new DEP data that must be collected.

  21. Q - Are the inspection/renewal fees going to change?

    A - No, the fees will remain the same.

  22. Q - Can I still file my renewal form at DEP?

    A - Although you will not be turned away if you file your boiler renewal at DEP, you are encouraged to submit both filings (via mail or in person) at the Department of Buildings located at 280 Broadway – 6th Floor (CFB Unit), New York, N.Y. 10007.

  23. Q - How long will DOB form OP-1 and DEP form 314C be accepted?

    A - Beginning October 3, 2005 only the new BO9 form will be accepted for all DOB boiler filings. All DEP applicants who renew with the expiration date of December 2005 or later must also start filing with the new form.

  24. Q - What if my boiler fails DEP inspection for renewal of my Certificate to Operate?

    A - You will receive a Notice of Disapproval directly from DEP. The reverse side of this Notice will include a form to request re-inspection once the reasons for disapproval have been corrected. Requests for re-inspection must be submitted directly to DEP, do not submit another BO9 form.

  25. Q - Who should be designated as the Contact Person in Section 7 of the BO-9 form?

    A - The person designated should be someone that DEP can contact to schedule an inspection of the equipment. That person needs to be available to meet the DEP inspector on the scheduled inspection date to operate the equipment and demonstrate compliance. For example, a representative from your oil service company or oil delivery company, etc.

  26. Q - How do I find out information about my property?

    A - Information about the property can be accessed on the Building Information System.

  27. Q - If I never file with DEP do I have to file now?

    A - No, this only applies to locations that meet the DEP requirements.

  28. Q - How do I know if I am fee exempt? If I am, what do I need to submit for proof?

    A - In order to be “fee exempt” the New York City Department of Finance must consider the premises fully exempt. One of the key indicators for fee exemption is whether the entire premises is used exclusively for not-for-profit (i.e., religious, charitable and/or educational) purposes.

    To apply for fee exemption, you will need:

    • A current property assessment printout indicating 100% tax exemption of the property. This printout is to be prepared by the Department of Finance. You can obtain more information about how to obtain a property assessment report from the Department of Finance.
    • A letter from the State Department indicating exemption by treaty.
    • A letter from the United Nations indicating exemption from the laws of the United States.

Other Related Links

Read Boiler's Service Change
BO9 Form & Instruction
Other Department of Buildings FAQ A-L
Other Department of Buildings FAQ M-Z