March 24, 1999
Omission Of Sprinklers From Certain Spaces In Residential Buildings - Local Law # 10/99
To clarify when sprinklers can be omitted from clothes closets, linen closets, pantries, water closets, water closet compartments, bathrooms, general toilet rooms and shower rooms in buildings classified in Occupancy Group J-2 and J-3.
Administrative Code (A.C.) §27-956(b).
For the purpose of this Technical Policy & Procedure Notice, the words and terms contained herein shall have the following meanings:
- A clothes closet, linen closet or pantry is a closet restricted to the storage of apparel, linens and/or food within a dwelling unit.
- A water closet is a flushable toilet.
- A water closet compartment is a physically demised space accessory to a dwelling unit and containing either a water closet or a water closet and a lavatory. A water closet compartment may contain a dressing table.
- A bathroom is a physically demised space accessory to a dwelling unit and containing, at a minimum, a lavatory, bathtub or shower stall and a water closet.
- A general toilet room is a physically demised space containing water closets and lavatories and providing the required sanitary facilities serving dwelling units.
- A shower room is a physically demised space providing means of bathing by overhead spray.
- CLOTHES CLOSETS, LINEN CLOSETS AND PANTRIES
Pursuant to A.C. §27-240 spaces classified in occupancy groups having a higher fire index or the same or lower fire index of the occupancy group classification of the building shall be separated from adjoining spaces in accordance with A.C. §27-339 and Table 5-2 or 5-1 as applicable. The provisions of either table do not apply to closets seventy-five (75) square feet or less.
Sprinklers can be omitted from clothes closets, linen closets and pantries. However, such closets or pantries exceeding seventy-five (75) square feet shall comply with fire segregation requirements of Table 5-1 or Table 5-2 as applicable. In lieu of providing the requisite fire segregation, such storage closets may be sprinklered upon reconsideration by the Borough Commissioner.
A dressing room seventy-five (75) square feet or more is not a clothes closet and shall be sprinklered pursuant to Local Law # 10/99.
- WATER CLOSET COMPARTMENTS, BATHROOMS, GENERAL TOILET ROOMS AND SHOWER ROOMS
Sprinklers can be omitted from these spaces as defined above.