A. Zoning Exemption
The Department recognizes that cellular telephony has become a prevalent form of communication essential to the public interest. As such, those companies wishing to erect cellular antennas and install related equipment are to be treated with the deference afforded other public utilities. Thus, to the extent the cellular antennas and related equipment meet the specifications and requirements set forth below, they are not subject to zoning. These specifications and requirements are based on the standards for cellular telephony at this time, and are designed to permit necessary and customary public utility service. To the extent the antenna and related equipment do not meet these criteria, they may be classified as Use Group 6 "communication equipment structures," and as such, may require a special permit in residence districts pursuant to Z.R. §22-21.
- The antennas must be attached to a building or other structure that has a use independent of supporting the antennas.
- The antennas may not extend higher than six (6) feet above the height of the roof or parapet on the roof, or six feet above any penthouse or bulkhead, if placed on such penthouse or bulkhead.
- The antennas shall each have an area no more than 8.45 square feet or one meter in diameter.
- The related cellular equipment must not occupy more than 5% of the floor area on a zoning lot or 400 square feet.
B. Building Code Requirements
The installation of cellular antennas and their related equipment on any building in any district requires the filing of an alteration application.
In order to demonstrate compliance with this TPPN, the plans shall show all cellular equipment and antennas already located in or on the building, and the following:
- The location, size and height of all proposed cellular equipment and antenna;
- Structural support and mounting details of all proposed cellular equipment and antennas;
- A calculation of the cumulative floor area and the dimensions of the room occupied by existing and proposed cellular equipment in the building.